The Nutrition and Dietary Unit
Michal Gershoni Kait
A good nutritional situation enables a response to the patient’s treatment and quality of life, and could shorten the hospitalization time. Therefore, the principal objective of the Nutrition and Dietary Unit in Reuth Rehabilitation Hospital Tel Aviv is to provide the patients with correct and balanced nutrition and it collaborates with the rest of the hospital units. The Unit’s team customizes nutrition for each patient personally suitable for his condition.
The Unit is also responsible for the menu served to all the hospital patients, pursuant to the requirements of the Ministry of Health, and the dietary kitchen which provides the patients with special foods and food supplements required.
The Unit handles all the patients hospitalized in the hospital and individuals coming for ambulatory treatment at the Day rehabilitation department who require consultation and nutritional follow up.
- Patients undergoing rehabilitation: the Unit’s team holds an introductory discussion with every new patient the objective of which is to identify nutritional risk situations, to arrange a menu for chronic diseases and for changeable medical situations, and to provide nutritional support customized for achieving the objectives of the rehabilitation treatment.
- Ventilated patients: a daily feeding configuration adapted for the physical needs of the ventilation process and the weaning from ventilation process.
- Children: treatment that takes into account the growth curves in order to improve the probabilities of each child for normal growth including frequent monitoring of the various measurements and prevention of complications which could be caused during growth.
- Patients with complex nursing: determination of the feeding method and the type of nutrition suitable for the condition of the patient and execution of regular follow up for each patient throughout the hospitalization.
- Patients with swallowing disorders: diagnosis and treatment together with the Communications Disorders Unit, and feeding pursuant to the patient’s abilities – from solid, porridge-like or liquid food and through to nutrition introduced directly to the digestive system.
- Patients under ambulatory care: individual meetings when necessary, for treatment of the nutritional ramifications of the medical condition and the side effects of treatment with pain killers.
Within the framework of its activity the Unit identifies situations of nutritional risk by means of assessment of the nutritional situation of each patient on admission and execution of follow up on fixed periods of time. The Unit’s team carry out ongoing follow up of patients at nutritional risk by means of physiological and clinical indices, weight and lab tests. If necessary the Unit provides support for patients whose nutritional situation is deteriorating.
Research and academic activity
The Unit’s team carries out research and publishes research studies and case studies in professional journals. The Unit holds conventions and workshops, trains internal and external medical teams and serves as a training centre for students specializing in the field of geriatrics within the framework of professional nutritional training in Israel. Furthermore, the Unit provides professional support for geriatric institutions on issues of nutrition and diet.
The team includes 8 clinical dieticians specializing in rehabilitation fields and in diverse additional fields, including eating disorders, chronic ventilation, children, children with special needs, dialysis, rehabilitation geriatrics, treatment of head injuries and nephrology.
All the dieticians in the Unit have extensive knowledge and experience in chronic complex patients and rehabilitation patients. They participate in conventions, advanced training and seminar days and implement professional innovations in their daily work.
Articles on the subject
Rehabilitation in hospitalization
Clinics and Institutes
Research & Development
Hahayil st 2 Tel-Aviv
7, 11, 15, 16, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 43, 52, 53, 58.
Tel Aviv -"HaHagana" Train Station, within walking distance