The Occupational Therapy Unit
Occupational therapy is one of the health professions the objective of which is to help individuals who are experiencing cognitive, motor, sensory or emotional difficulties to live independent lives as far as possible within the framework of their homes, families and socially.
The main role of the occupational therapists is to help the patient return to his important activities and to occupational fields that are significant for him, and to promote his ability to function independently both during his basic daily activities such as washing, dressing and eating, and the more complex activities of managing money, leisure time and household management.
The principal objective of occupational therapy is to enable the patient to take an active part in daily life as a basis for his health, well-being and quality of life.
In the Occupational Therapy Unit in the Reuth Rehabilitation Hospital Tel Aviv treatments are given to individuals who are hospitalized in various wards: rehabilitation (young people, middle age, geriatric), complex nursing and ventilated patients; for patients treated under ambulatory care and outpatients and for those making personal requests. All the treatments in occupational therapy are customized personally for the patient, for the occupations that are important for him, within the framework of his life and his previous functions.
The treatments given within the framework of the Occupational Therapy Unit include:
- Cognitive rehabilitation: the objective of the treatment is to improve the patient’s cognitive ability in order to enable his active and significant participation in daily life.
- Neurological rehabilitation: the objective of the treatment is to achieve both motor improvement and optimal independence in daily basic functions (BADL) such as eating, dressing and washing and instrumental functions (IADL) such as management of money and meal preparation.
- Rehabilitation for spinal cord injuries: The treatment focuses on improvement of the functioning of post-surgical patients and various spinal injuries in order to enable them optimal independence pursuant to the level of the injury.
- Orthopaedic rehabilitation: the objective of the treatment is to improve ranges of movement and strength, to reduce pain and to enable use of limbs in daily functioning.
- Geriatric rehabilitation: promotion of the functional ability of the older person and maintenance of the quality of life following an orthopaedic or neurological injury, or following a decrease in function due to age-related diseases.
- Rehabilitation of the hand and burns: within the framework of the treatments static and dynamic braces are adapted for the patient, according to his condition. If necessary use is made of pressure dressings and silicon sheets to provide optimal treatment.
- Treatment for children: treatment designed for children of a wide range of ages who are hospitalized for a prolonged time period in complex nursing situations and for ventilated children. The treatments are customized for each child: individual treatment to achieve developmental milestones, group treatments, customization of braces, eating groups and sensory stimuli.
- Treatment for patients with low arousal: advanced therapeutic intervention in comprehensive assessment the objective of which is identification of responses that shall enable communication. These responses are any voluntary bodily movement which the therapist can use to mark a positive or negative response, for example. Additional sensory stimuli are given (touch, smell) to encourage responses.
- Rehabilitation for complex nursing patients and breathing: designed for nursing patients who contend with severe motor and/or cognitive restrictions. During the treatment customized for each patient personally which include recreational activities, individually or in a group, the objective of which is to improve his motor and cognitive ability.
- Rehabilitation for chronic pain: Reuth Rehabilitation Hospital Tel Aviv is a national center for treatment of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome and pain syndromes. The treatment is carried out after comprehensive assessment the objective of which is to identify factors that are delaying performance such as restrictions of movement and force, sensitivity to touch which does not allow functioning, concern about movement and more. The treatment methods are diverse however all of them have one principal objective which is to encourage participation in daily life.
Department OF Therapeutic Occupation
The Department OF Therapeutic Occupation at the Reuth Rehabilitation Hospital Tel Aviv is part of the Occupational Therapy Unit. The Department focuses on activating the patients and aspires to create for each patient a top quality recreational environment customized personally to his needs, his abilities and his limitations. The objective of the activity is to maintain and establish motor, social and emotional functions, which contribute to the wellbeing of the patients and the quality of their life.
The Department OF Therapeutic Occupation provides a designated solution to all those hospitalized in the various wards in the hospital (complex nursing, rehabilitation, respiratory rehabilitation, ambulatory care).
For patients hospitalized in the rehabilitation wards the Department serves as a stimulus at times of crisis. Here they can acquire new skills and hobbies, which will also serve them after they are discharged from hospital and return to their homes.
For the patients’ families the Therapeutic Occupation hall serves as a warm and family-oriented place in which they can observe their dear ones in activities and also participate.
The Department offers patients a wide variety of activities such as: painting, sculpture, embroidery, cooking and baking, music, jewellery making, computers and current affairs. Every patient can choose the activities that he likes and the team customizes for him methods and tools that enable him to engage in the field that he has chosen. Furthermore, the Department holds special activities in preparation for the Jewish holidays, and operates a unique club for the female members of the patients’ families which constitutes a meeting place for emotional support.
The Departments activities are carried out in the various wards individually and/or in groups. In addition there are activities in the therapeutic occupation hall which are open to all the hospital patients.
Yasmin Klain – the Department Director.
Female employees, graduates of therapeutic occupation training on behalf of the Eshel organization, approved by the Ministry of Health. The team members are updated on an ongoing basis on innovations in the field of therapeutic occupation and participate in conventions, seminar days and professional training.
Research and academic activities
The Unit is recognized as a training center for students of occupational therapy from all the universities and colleges in Israel. The department team participates in many studies in the fields of therapeutic focus.
Rehabilitation in hospitalization
Clinics and Institutes
Research & Development
Hahayil st 2 Tel-Aviv
7, 11, 15, 16, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 43, 52, 53, 58.
Tel Aviv -"HaHagana" Train Station, within walking distance