The Respiratory Rehabilitation Division
Dr. Maya Elyashiv
The respiratory wards in the Reuth Rehabilitation Hospital Tel Aviv are the first and the largest of their kind in Israel, whereby the students of respiratory rehabilitation are currently placed in all the hospitals as part of the hospital’s permanent staff. The Respiratory Rehabilitation Division treats patients requiring respiratory support by means of a respirator for a prolonged period, and has recorded extraordinary achievements in weaning from ventilation.
The chief objective of the division is to rehabilitate the respiratory ability of the patients, to enable them to breathe independently and to wean them from dependence on the respirator.
The respiratory rehabilitation wards treat patients who cannot breathe independently and are dependent on a ventilator for various reasons, including:
- Chronic pulmonary diseases
- Heart diseases
- Muscular degenerative diseases such as ALS
- Central nervous system diseases
- Obesity or those who are significant underweight
- Accidents and traumatic injuries
The patients are monitored by sophisticated equipment and electronic control systems, 24/7.
The treatments include advanced ventilation methods, for respiratory rehabilitation and weaning from ventilation.
- Bi-level Positive Airway Pressure (BPAP) – an advanced respirator based on two different levels of pressure, for aspiration and exhalation, and that works in two different states: a spontaneous state that responds to the independent breaths of the patient and an automatic state for ventilation of patients who cannot breathe independently at all.
- Respiratory rehabilitation – multidisciplinary treatment that includes: exercises for strengthening the respiratory muscles, respiratory and general physiotherapy, customized physical activity, nutritional treatment, occupational therapy, respiratory support and weaning from artificial ventilation.
- Weaning from ventilation – for patients who are found to be suitable for weaning from ventilation a personal weaning program is customized. The weaning process is characterized by close supervision and great patience, with the objective of increasing the chances of success.
There is a multi-professional team working together in the wards in close collaboration including:
- Nurses with knowledge in treating a ventilated patient and who specialize in respiratory rehabilitation and weaning from ventilation
- Paramedical professionals who specialize in physiotherapy, occupational therapy, communication disorders and nutrition.
Rehabilitation in hospitalization
- General Rehabilitation Division
- The Respiratory Rehabilitation Division
- The Head Injuries Rehabilitation Ward
- Geriatric Rehabilitation Division
- The Paediatric Ward
- The Therapeutic Occupation Unit
- Treatment of Communication Disorders Unit
- The Occupational Therapy Unit
- The Continuum of Care Unit
- The Physiotherapy Unit
- The Nutrition and Dietary Unit
- Social Services
- Educational Framework
Clinics and Institutes
Hahayil st 2 Tel-Aviv
2, 7, 15, 16, 31, 34, 35, 37, 46, 52, 54, 59, 104, 452, 475, 717
Tel Aviv -"HaHagana" Train Station, within walking distance